Nascar Update:

When things are going your way, it often seems as if nothing can work against you. Such is the case for young Kyle Busch, who notched his sixth victory of the season -- and fifth in the last 10 races -- in a wild shootout in the Coke Zero 400 from Daytona International Speedway Saturday night.
Four caution flags thrown in the final 20 laps marred what was a relatively clean event. A wreck with four laps to go when Jimmie Johnson was spun by Dave Blaney collected polesitter Paul Menard, Regan Smith, David Reutimann, Denny Hamlin and J.J. Yeley, who was driving in relief for Tony Stewart.
The race then went to a green-white-checker finish -- and the fireworks were about to start. Kyle Busch led Jeff Gordon, Carl Edwards, Matt Kenseth and Kurt Busch to the green when Gordon threw a block on the 99 of Edwards. Gordon's left rear clipped Edwards' nose and was sent spinning but came to rest deep to the inside apron of the track, allowing the race to remain green.
"Everybody was laying back and trying to get a run on that last restart," Gordon said of this final restart. "They got the jump on me and I tried to block them and I don't know, maybe I came across his nose, I don't know. I'm probably more mad at myself than anything else."
As the field took the white flag a bevy of cars mid-pack banged off one another and critical-mass came in Turn 1 as Sam Hornish Jr., Clint Bowyer, Michael Waltrip, Travis Kvapil, Reed Sorenson and J.J. Yeley were involved in a massive pileup. The race was frozen at that point and after review by NASCAR officials, Kyle Busch was deemed the race winner.
"Well, it was close, I knew that," Busch said. "When I did see the yellow light come on, I could barely see the nose of the 99 car (Edwards) at my right-front fender. I was hoping that we were the winners and it ended up that way."
"I wasn't sure until we were going down the back straightaway (who won)," Edwards said. "(Spotter) Jason Hedlesky told me. He said, 'the 18 to Victory Lane.' I was pretty sure, though, (based on) where we were running when the yellow light came on. Right as I was going by it, I was getting a run on his door so I was probably second."
Behind Busch and Edwards, Matt Kenseth, Kurt Busch and David Ragan rounded out the top five.

Leave a Reply