Electrocution - Top Danger Points and How to Avoid Them

When you think of things that are strong conductors of electricity, power lines, wires and metals likely come to mind. Surprisingly, the human body can also be an excellent electricity conductor, and when electric currents hit the body several types of injuries may occur.The body may go into cardiac arrest because of the electricity's effect on the heart; muscle, nerves and tissue can be damaged due to the current; or thermal burns can occur if the body contacts an electrical source.The severity of the injuries depends on a variety of factors (the voltage of electricity, the person's state of health, how the current travels through the body and how quickly medical help is received), but, according to the National Institutes of Health, some 1,000 people die in the United States each year because of electric shock.Fortunately, you and your loved ones can dramatically reduce the risks if you are aware of top electrocution threats in and around your home and take the simple measures to prevent them:

1. Extension cords.
These handy tools can cause electrical burns and shock if they're not used carefully. Cords that have exposed wires should never be used, as kids and pets can (and will) chew on them if they can get them. In fact, electrical burns to the mouth account for half of the extension-cord-related injuries to young children, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).Even an intact extension cord poses a risk. For instance, in one case a 15- month- old girl put an extension cord in her mouth and suffered electrical burns that required surgery.
To reduce the risks, keep extension cords out of reach of kids and pets, and always purchase cords that have the UL and OSHA labels on them (these cords have been subjected to strict tests to ensure they meet certain safety standards). Further, use common sense measures to be sure the cords are in good shape, including:
· Inspect them regularly for signs of wear and tear.
· Replace old extension cords that are cracked or frayed.
· Only use exterior extension cords for outside use.
· Don't overload cords or sockets.
· Pull the plug, not the cord, when disconnecting it from the socket
· Only use extension cords when they're absolutely necessary, and try not to use them for long- term purposes.
Lonnie Snyder
Keller Williams Realty Southeast Sound
Phone: 206-406-2710
Website: http://www.callsnyder.com/
Blogsite: http://renton-real-estate.blogspot.com/
Lonnie Snyder is a full time real estate agent and REALTOR® with Keller Williams Realty specializing in Residential Real Estate for buyers and sellers in Washington’s Kent, Renton, Newcastle and South Bellevue.

Leave a Reply